Core Subjects in the National Curriculum
The subjects described as core subjects in the National Curriculum are defined by the Education Act 1996 the subjects that form the fundamental basis of the education of a pupil in all schools within the NES. The core subjects as enacted are, for the Primary level;
- the National Language;
- the English Language;
- the Chinese Language, for pupils in national-type schools (Chinese);
- the Tamil Language, for pupils in national-type schools (Tamil);
- Local Studies;
- Islamic Education, for pupils professing the religion of Islam; and
- Moral Education, for pupils not professing the religion of Islam.
- rofessing the religion of Islam.